Jump to Recipe
This is seriously the best peanut sauce you will ever have! It’s nutty, savoury, salty, spicy, and tangy – perfect for stir-fries, dipping chicken satay, marinating tofu, and even as a coleslaw dressing. 5 minutes, 7 staple pantry ingredients, multi-purpose, and insanely addictive, this sauce is set to become a weeknight staple.
If you’re anything like me, the last thing you want to do after working for 40+ hours during the week is slave away over the stove on a Friday night. No, thank you. I would much rather put my feet up, grab a glass of wine (or two), and plop myself on the sofa for a few reruns of Buffy. Ya feel me?
Of course, that means Friday usually ends up being a takeaway meal: tikka masala, peanut pad Thai, pizza, sometimes even cheeky fish n’ chips. Preferably delivered to my doorstep by the friendly Deliveroo cyclists so I don’t have to put down my wine glass.
But in recent climes, Chris and I have had to change our weekly routine. We’ve opted to forgo our Friday night takeaways to decrease our chance of getting ill.
That, my friend, is where the best peanut sauce EVER becomes your new favourite thing.
Let me explain…
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s incredibly comforting – something we all need in our lives every day right now. Asian-inspired dishes are some of my favourite comfort foods, and I know I’m not the only one.
- You can use this sauce on everything! I’ve used it as a stir-fry sauce, as a salad or coleslaw dressing, as a dipping sauce for chicken satay or spring rolls, and to marinate tofu, chicken, pork, and beef! This couldn’t be the best peanut sauce ever and not be totally multi-purpose, amiright?
- It’s super speedy, coming together in five minutes flat. Which means I can have a homemade pad Thai, peanut broccoli salad, or chicken satay on the table FAST. Perfect for a Friday sofa sesh.
- It’s a much healthier alternative to takeaway. Because we’re making this sauce from several staple, whole food pantry ingredients, you know it won’t contain any sneaky additives, refined sugars, or palm oil.
- And on that note, this sauce is completely refined sugar free and vegan!
Ingredients in peanut satay sauce
- Smooth natural peanut butter: the essential base of the best peanut sauces!
- Garlic: adds flavour and heat.
- Soy sauce: our seasoning. If you’re gluten-free, tamari can be substituted.
- Agave nectar: to sweeten the sauce ever so slightly and remove the harsh tang from the soy sauce and lemon.
- Toasted sesame oil: adds depth and extra nuttiness.
- Lemon juice: our acid. I’ve also tried this with lime juice, but lemon makes this the best peanut sauce ever. Trust.
- Sriracha hot sauce: to give the sauce a spicy kick! If you can’t handle spicy foods, you can leave this out.
How to make the best ever peanut sauce from scratch
Making the best peanut sauce for takeaway meals at home couldn’t be easier. Here’s how to do it:
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl or a glass jar with a lid.
- Whisk (or shake) the ingredients together until smooth.
- Loosen with water until it reaches your desired consistency.
How long can peanut sauce last in the fridge?
I’ve kept this peanut satay sauce in my fridge for 1 week.
As long as it stays sealed in an airtight container – such as a glass lidded mason jar or jam jar – it should be fine.
How to use the best peanut sauce
Oh let me count the ways! The main reason I believe this is the best peanut sauce ever is because it’s so versatile. It can be used for so many dishes! Here are just a few of the ways I use it:
- Dressing for coleslaw or broccoli salad
- Stir fry sauce
- Tofu, chicken, pork, veg, or beef marinade
- Sauce drizzled over lettuce wraps
- Pad Thai sauce
- Dipping sauce for satay, kebabs, or spring rolls
- A base for curry
- Spread in sandwiches and tortilla wraps
The options are endless!
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use natural peanut butter for the best peanut sauce. Natural is best because it doesn’t contain palm or hydrogenated oil and keeps the sauce flavourful and drippy.
- Grate your garlic, rather than chop it, to ensure even dispersal throughout the sauce.
- Start with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and taste as you go. Adding soy sauce to a dish is like seasoning with salt – it won’t be the same for everyone. I like mine with the recommended 2 tablespoons, especially when it’s more watered down as a salad dressing.
- Make clean-up easy by using a lidded glass jar to shake together the sauce. You can also then pop this straight in the fridge.
Looking for more healthy comfort food dinner ideas?
If you make this recipe, let me know by snapping a picture and tagging me on Instagram @naturallysweet_kitchen. I love seeing your creations and sharing them in my Stories. Or let me know you love this Best Peanut Sauce by leaving a comment and rating below!
Best Peanut Sauce Ever
The best peanut sauce you will ever have! Nutty, savoury, tangy, and spicy – perfect for stir-fries, chicken satay, marinating, or as a salad dressing.
- 80 ml smooth natural peanut butter
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp agave nectar
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha hot sauce to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1-3 tbsp water as needed
- Add the peanut butter, garlic, soy sauce, agave, sesame oil, lemon juice, Sriracha, and pepper to a bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Loosen with water by tablespoon as needed to reach your desired consistency. For a dipping sauce, use 1-2 tablespoons of water. For a stir-fry sauce, use 2-3 tablespoons of water.
- This sauce will keep sealed in an airtight glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- To make this sauce gluten-free, substitute Tamari sauce for the soy sauce.